Saturday, December 20, 2008

Building a Home Full of Grace


As I looked through my bookshelf recently, I came across Building a Home Full of Grace by John and Susan Yates and family. I remember when I first read this book several years ago, I was so struck by the real-life, practical wisdom the Yates family offered in this joint publication. John and Susan along with their five grown children produced the book, in which they describe through personal experience how to build a home characterized by grace. Theirs is a home in which grace is freely given to those within it, and that same grace overflows into the lives of others. Because of their gracious lives, family friend, John Stott, encouraged the Yateses to pen this book. It's definitely a good read.

Grace is certainly a virtue my husband and I hope to cultivate in our home and lives. There's still much progress to be made, but I feel we're moving in the right direction.

The scripture passage below (in The Message paraphrase) makes me think of grace-filled lives.

You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand -- shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good read! I will have to add it to my list of books to read. I think I have one of yours on my dresser now--I'm about two thirds through it and I've only had it for at least six months. Sorry! I'll have to add "reading more" to my New Year resolutions list...

    ReplyDelete