Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Man and a Woman in the Making

Like most moms, I have my moments when I look longingly at my children and ask, "Why can't they stay little forever?" I know years down the road I will look back on these days and long to hold my 6 year old and 2 year old again. When I experience feelings like these, I try to remind myself how precious these days and years are and to simply savor each day - even the temper-tantrum filled and messy ones.

And when I get that I-want-to-hold-onto-you-and-never-let-you-go feeling that all moms experience, I also try to remind myself that my two children are really a man and a woman in the making. While my children are young, it is my responsibility to guide and protect them and hold them close, but if I decide to hold on to them for keeps, then I'm losing sight of my ultimate purpose as a parent.

What is my ultimate purpose? Fueled by God's wisdom and grace, I must direct them on their personal journeys to manhood and womanhood, teaching them to follow Jesus along the way.

1 comment: