Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ready, Set, Go!


Well, in two days I will run my first race ever - a 1ok. That's 6.2 miles for all of you metrically challenged people out there. It's taken seven weeks of training to get to this point, and I've spent much time reflecting on the similarities between running a race and following Jesus. Just to be fair, I'm not the first person to come up with this great analogy. All you need to do is read the passage in Hebrews from my previous post, and you'll see the idea's not a new one. In fact, I've read that passage in Hebrews numerous times in my life, but since I started training for this race, the analogy has become so much more powerful in my heart and mind.

Here's one thing I've learned about running a long race: it is hard and painful at times, and you will want to give up. If I want to have any hope of finishing this race on Saturday, I must be committed to finishing. Crossing the starting line doesn't guarantee I'm going to cross the finish line. If I start to envy those on the sidelines, and say to myself, "It's so much easier to just watch the race," then I'll suddenly find myself right beside them and out of the race. I have to stay focused on the prize at the end (in this case bottled water and snacks because there's no way I'm winning the cash prize!) and stay on the course. I may have to battle the weather, side cramps, knee pain and fatigue. If I trip and fall, I need to pick myself up and keep running to the finish line.

That's a lot what it's like to follow Jesus, isn't it? He's the race leader, and I need to keep my eyes on him, so I can follow him to the finish. If I want to finish the race and receive the prize that awaits, I must be committed to staying the course because there will be times when I want to give up. If I'm not careful, I may be drawn into sin - greed, pride, lust, anger, selfishness - you name it - and find myself slowly entangled by it and no longer following Jesus, the race leader, but hanging out on the sidelines with the crowd instead. I'll certainly have to battle temptations and troubles while running this lifelong race, and I may even get tripped up by them at times, but I need to pick myself back up and fix my eyes on Jesus, the race leader.

He's leading the charge, and I'll win the prize if I just keep following him.

No comments:

Post a Comment