Friday, March 28, 2008

The Stuttering Brain


Those of you who read my blog regularly (if indeed any of you exist) may have noticed that I've recently added a list of books I'm reading. One book, in particular, stands out as different among the rest in my list: The Lidcombe Program of Early Stuttering Intervention: A Clinician's Guide by Mark Onslow. It is a textbook detailing the Lidcombe Method for treating stuttering in preschool-aged children. I am particularly interested in this because my 5 year old son has struggled greatly with stuttering, and the exact cause of stuttering is still a mystery to this day. There are many theoretical approaches to dealing with stuttering, but all of these are based on presumptive theories relating to the assumed causes of stuttering. Lidcombe is an atheoretical method for treating stuttering. That is to say - the method is not based upon a theory as to the cause of stuttering. It is simply based on clinical research regarding methods that are proven successful in eliminating stuttering in young children - regardless of the cause.

The Lidcombe approach, although it has been thoroughly researched and shown to be very successful with children under the age of 6, is not the typical stuttering treatment a child would receive here in the United States. Only a small number of clinicians here in the U.S. use this approach. Lidcombe was developed primarily in Australia, and is a popular choice for clinicians in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom. It is a bit radical in it's direct approach, yet it is very simple to implement. It is pure operant conditioning, based upon B.F. Skinner's model of reward, punishment and extinction. With Lidcombe, to summarize briefly(read the book to really learn how to use it), the parent (the clinician simply teaches the parent how to implement the therapy, and then subsequently attains objective measures of treatment progress) in both structured and non-structured conversation offers the child acknowledgment and praise when statements are uttered fluently (i.e. stutter-free) and acknowledges the "bumps" when a child stutters unambiguously, followed by a request to try the statement again. One key factor in making this pleasant for the child is that the positive verbal contingencies must outnumber the negative at least 5:1. This whole idea of directly addressing the stutter with a child flies in the face of many past passive approaches, which were to never acknowledge or address the issue with the child for fear it will make them self-conscious and therefore struggle all the more. In fact, many experts thought the idea of operant conditioning for stuttering was completely abhorrent when the research first began in this area. Yet, for some unknown reason, it works! Perhaps very young children have enough brain plasticity to figure out on their own how to control the stutter once they are encouraged to do so.

Here in the US, one is more likely to receive treatment that is based somewhat on the demands and capacities model - changing conversational and environmental stressors to promote fluency - as well as fluency shaping techniques - teaching stutterers to elongate vowels and and speak with relaxed, slow speech. These techniques have shown success with stutterers, but there are quite a few who are not helped by these methods of treatment. Of the number of children who spontaneously develop stuttering in the preschool years, a full 20% will never recover - despite therapy - and will go on to become adult stutterers. Boys are more often affected than girls, and the risk for boys to become lifelong stutterers is 4 times greater than that for girls. Many of the 80% who recover, do so spontaneously without therapy. That indicates that the failure rate for therapy is much greater than 20%. As the mother of a 5 year old boy who stutters, I know the odds are not necessarily in his favor, but I refuse to give up and settle for one approach that only has shown limited success. I am committed to learning all I can about the supposed causes of stuttering, and I plan to implement this Lidcombe operant therapy at home while my son still receives more traditional therapy once a week at our local elementary school.

Another area in which I plan to do more research and reading regarding stuttering help is in the relatively new field of educational kinesiology (Edu-K.) This is the study and application of natural movement experiences to facilitate learning. It focuses on the performance of specific physical activities that activate the brain for optimal storage and retrieval of information. It has been shown to help with ADD, ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder as well as basic focus and concentration in both children and adults. I theorize that stuttering has both behavioral and physiological components. It only makes sense, then, to try to treat both. I first began to look into this area when I read in a journal article, What Causes Stuttering?, by Christian Buechel and Martin Sommer. The article explains that PET scans and fMRI imaging have shown in multiple studies that the right hemisphere of the brain is hyperactive in adult stutterers when they produce stutter-free speech; wheareas the left hemisphere is more active when producing stuttered speech. This leads to the hypothesis that the right hemisphere language areas try to compensate for a deficit in the left, and that perhaps the 80% of people who recover from stuttering are those who are able to use their right brain hemispheres for language production. This discovery prompted me to ask, "Is there a way to improve right hemisphere functions and cross-communication between the two hemispheres of the brain?" Indeed, there are exercises and activities that have been shown to improve cross-communication between the left and right hemispheres of the brain as well as other aspects of brain function, and I plan to learn more regarding the research in this field. I have a few books I've ordered on the way. I'll update my blog when I learn more.

I've told my husband I am on a mission to help our son overcome his stuttering. He has already shown significant improvement in the past few months - most of it before we started traditional therapy, and I have my theories regarding his seemingly spontaneous improvement. Hopefully, I will have more information to support my theory once I have read more about Edu-K.

For more information and all the cutting-edge theories and research regarding stuttering, check out the blog, The Stuttering Brain, from which I borrowed the title for this entry. I also have included it in my list of blogs on the left-hand column of the page.

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thank you for sharing about your sons stuttering. I was hoping to find out how his speech is now and if you tried the Lidcome program after all and what other approaches worked, if any. My son has a stutter too and I would like to help him at home if I can. I am confused about trying speech therpy, worried it could do more harm than good. Thank you.
    A concerned mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friend,

    As a mother of a son who also stutters, I understand your feelings of concern for your son. I am happy to tell you that his speech has improved since I wrote this blog entry one year ago.

    It is difficult for me to say exactly what therapy methods have caused the improvement b/c I have been working with him in multiple ways. I have been using aspects of Lidcombe - praising good speech and asking for an occasional correction - and my son has continued with his speech therapy at our local elementary school, learning to use slow and relaxed speech (which he can now do beautifully - the trick is remembering to apply it!) I have also been using (sporadically, though, unfortunately) Brain Gym (educational kinesiology) activities with him to help him, as well.

    I wish I could say his stutter is completely gone, but he is certainly much improved. He will now go weeks at a time with no or very few stutters, but occasionally will lapse into a pattern of more frequent stuttering still. We are in one of those at the present time. I have learned that when this happens, it is often the result of a constant low-level anxiety, not about speaking (he talks my ear off even when he stutters), but about life in general. When I first read literature about stuttering, and stress in children was mentioned as an aggravating factor, I felt a bit offended b/c we have a very loving, supportive and low-key home life. I've come to realize, though, that he (and perhaps other stuttering children) is an especially sensitive child, who hopefully will learn better how to deal with the minor stresses of life as he gets older. It seems when he feels stressed, the tension comes out physically in a stutter - tension in the facial muscles. Brain Gym has many activities to help stimulate right brain development and also help manage stress and tension. I have seen his stutter greatly reduced after several days of doing Brain Gym exercises when he relapses into more frequent stuttering.

    As someone who's been through this for a while (and without knowing your son, so take this all with a grain of salt), here would be my advice for you:

    1. Don't be afraid of speech therapy. My experience with speech pathologists is that they are very compassionate people with a sincere desire to help. My son's therapist is very gentle with him and understands his temperament quite well. Although he didn't like therapy at first b/c it was hard, he now looks forward to seeing her each week. I do believe she has been helpful for him. I don't know how long your son has been stuttering, but chances are he's already aware of it himself. He may feel relieved having someone show him some practical ways to handle his stutter. Oh, and at our elementary school, kids who don't need it are begging to go to speech therapy b/c they know the kids who go have fun (and get out of class!), so there's no stigma attached it seems.

    2. Buy the Lidcombe textbook, read it carefully, and try it out. It certainly won't hurt, and my son really loves hearing me say "Good talking!" or "Great job smoothing out the bump!" and getting a hi-five from me. The encouragement means a lot to him.

    3. Read about Educational Kinesiology and Brain Gym. A book I read and felt was very eye-opening was by Carla Hannaford entitled "Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head". She also describes many Brain Gym moves that I use with my son, and I do believe they have been helpful.

    4. Realize that it may take several years for him to overcome his stutter. Some literature says children may even grow out of it on their own as late as age 9. Having said that, early intervention makes a BIG difference though, so don't wait too long to start helping him.

    5. Model slower than normal speech when you talk with him. If you slow down, he may be prompted to eventually slow his rate of speech simply by listening to yours.

    6. Listen intently to everything he says and allow him to finish what he's saying without interruption or asking him to slow down, etc. This way he won't feel tense about the act of speaking, thus making his stutter worse.

    7. Do what you reasonably can to reduce stress in your son's life. Let me clarify. He may be especially sensitive like my son, and the things he finds stressful may not bother another child in the slightest. If your son feels stressed or anxious, it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. That is one of the principal reasons we decided to homeschool our son for Kindergarten. Given his sensitive nature, the full day of school I believe would cause him to feel anxious while he's at school and then worried about the next day once he got home. I feel he would be living with a high level of constant anxiety and stuttering much more. (Btw his speech therapist thinks we made the right decision for him, too.) Like I said earlier, I hope that age and maturity will help him to learn to better deal with the minor stresses of life. I'm not saying you need to make plans to homeschool or anything like that. It just seemed right for our son. Just look for reasonable ways to make your son's life run at a slower, more easy pace.

    I hope this helps, and I wish you and your son the best. I know the road you are traveling all too well.

    Feel free to drop me a line on this blog anytime.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi we are in the middle of the Lindcombe program with a therapist. There can be harm done with this program "if" you use the praising in the wrong way. The praising helps when done in the right moment or can harm if done in the wrong moment. Its all about the correct timing of your praises.Just a note to be aware of.

      Delete
  3. Hi Juliana,

    I myself was looking into something called brain plasticity, and I was wondering if anyone was using it to treat stuttering. The documentary The Brain that Changes Itself (on Brain plasticity)had a segment on using it on children with a variety of learning difficulties with amazing results, with for some using an eye patch that forces the child to use only one hemisphere of the brain. there is also a book by the same name by M.D., Norman Dodge.
    The brain plasticity route makes sense because of the spontaneous recovery stats in young children and the difference in these same stats with regards to gender where more girls spontaneously recovering than boys.

    I wish you luck in your research and if I come up with anything definite I will post again.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for you and your blog. I stumbled on this when Googling the Lidcombe program because my 4 year old has developed a severe studder that has gotten progressively worse in the last 6 months and my heart is breaking. He IS very, very sensitive -- and you seem to be the first person I've spoken to who has made that connection. He will break down over silly jokes because he just doesn't know how to differentiate sometimes between playfulness and seriousness. I am going to buy the book because the therapist I spoke with would charge about $400 a month and that would be put me, a single mom, in the hole very, very quickly (I already spend over $1,000 for school and daycare for my 2 boys). Thank you for all of this great information. I'll also look into the educational kinesiology. Bless you! Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about this method of using an eye patch to stop stuttering. Mr. Gothard of IBLP told about it at a seminar I attended. I wonder if they would have any specifics on file of people who have used this method successfully. You might contact them. IBLP.org is their web site. You could probably call them and talk to Mr. Gothard's assistant to see what specifics you could find out. Maybe the right eye patched would lessen the dominance of the left hemisphere? I don't know. It sounded like he had some first hand knowledge of it though. I know some people who I'm sure would love to be able to stop their stuttering and would be more than willing to wear a patch if that would do it. -- Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I hope you see this as from the dates listed about this blog is from 2008. My 8 year old son stutters and my heart breaks over it , it is a source of constant anxiety. Has your sons stutter improved with the Lindcombe method?

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete